Apples, Walnuts, Prunes: Who knew? Derived from a great dish at "Panjshir" in Falls Church, Virginia.
If you feel sporty serve it with Curried Rice and Raita.
One large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Three tablespoons olive oil
One 8 oz. can tomato sauce
One third cup red lentils
Half dozen pitted prunes chopped bite size (3/4 cup halved red grapes will work too. Add them at the end.)
One third cup of chopped walnuts (soak them in warm water a few hours for best taste)
2 teaspoons Garam Masala ( most supermarkets have it)
3/4 teaspoon salt, ground black pepper
One tablespoon brown sugar
One and one half cups water
One pound cored and chopped McIntosh apples. I leave the skins on.
Saute the onion in the olive oil until light brown. This is important.
Add the rest of the ingredients: Garlic, Masala, water, tomatoes, lentils, prunes, drained and rinsed walnuts, salt, pepper, brown sugar and apples. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
Serve with cilantro or parsley.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) Black Olive, Pasta and White Bean Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Sugar Snap Peas
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Ditalini Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Mortar and Pestle Pesto