As close as you can come to saying the hell with it and not feel bad the next morning. If you like burgers because they are the best way to eat condiments, this will work.
The potatoes are simple and delicious.
One can of black beans, rinsed and drained, then mashed in a large bowl using a potato masher.
One half cup of rolled oats
2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
One tablespoon red wine vinegar
One tablespoon good soy sauce, with plenty of sodium
One quarter cup walnuts, pulsed or chopped fine
Two cloves garlic, minced fine
One half teaspoon each of chili powder and smoked paprika
Two Russet potatoes. Cut them in half lengthwise, then cut the halves into three wedges each.
Add the other ingredients to the mashed beans and mix well, then let sit for 5 minutes while the ingredients meld.
Divide the beans into two portions, and shape the mixture into two thick patties. (You could also make four small patties) Gingerly put them on a plate.
Make the potatoes: coat the wedges with olive oil, put them on a cookie sheet, salt them, and slide them into a preheated 425 degree oven. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes.
When the potatoes are almost done, heat a skillet over low/medium heat with a little oil. When the skillet is hot, add the burgers and cook around 5 minutes a side. They will brown and heat through.
Serve with as many condiments as you like. You're the boss.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great stovetop vegetarian meals for two.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean and Pasta Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Festivus Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Salad w/ Lime Dressing
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow with Apples
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) White Beans, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
(42) Kale, Potato and Bean Soup with Kalamata Topping
(44) Black Bean Burger with Baked Potato Wedges
(45) Lemony Red Lentil Soup
(46) Cacio e Pepe
(47) Yo Po Mian
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Tokyo Butter Rice
Indian Cucumber Raita
Mortar and Pestle Pesto