I am crazy about this dish. Great tasting and easy, a real surprise. Chinese comfort food. My brother Brian found out about this when he was searching for ways to use his tomato harvest. (Updated 12/19)
One cup of rice, two cups of water, pinch of salt. Make like this.
5 eggs, mush cooked, like this.
One pound ripe tomatoes, quartered. Compari brand is dependable if you don't have a garden. Cherry tomatoes work too.
One small bunch of scallions, white parts chopped, green parts sliced 1/2" long
One tablespoon sugar
One teaspoon salt
Some pepper flakes if you feel like it
Put the quartered tomatoes, the scallions, the hot pepper flakes and the sugar and salt in a bowl, mix and let marinate a little.
Cook the rice first, so it will be ready.
Cook the eggs as above, slide into a bowl, rough chop them into largish pieces.
When you are ready, slide the tomato mixture into your hot pan, cook over high heat for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to loose liquid, turn the heat down a little, cover and cook a few minutes more.
You are trying for a lot of tomato liquid plus barely identifiable tomatoes.
Add the eggs to the tomatoes, combine well, and serve over rice.
This dish tastes great with brown rice made with vegetable stock. (Make like white rice but cook 40 minutes)
(If your baby leaves you lone and lorn, make this a great, fast meal for one. Use 1/2 lb. tomatoes, three eggs, 2 teaspoons sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes, and put the tomatoes, sugar, salt, scallions and pepper flakes together in a bowl while you cook the rice. When the rice is done, cook the eggs and then the tomato mixture as above. Brown rice also works well in this.)
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Sugar Snap Peas
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Mortar and Pestle Pesto