Red beans with intense flavors. Easy to make, and inexpensive. Try to find fresh spices, it will pay off.
You could serve this with Raita as a side or as a topping. You could try it with Curried Rice too.
3/4 cup rice with 1 1/2 cups water and pinch of salt
Two cans red kidney beans or red beans, drained
3 Tablespoons olive oil
One large red onion, chopped
Three cloves garlic, minced
Two quarter sized pieces of fresh ginger, minced
One half pint cherry tomatoes, halved, or 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
3/4 cup coconut milk (more if needed. You want just enough liquid to maintain a simmer.)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and one teaspoon salt, all ground together in your mortar and pestle. (For even more of a thrill, add a teaspoon of curry powder.)
Cilantro and Sour Cream/Yogurt mixture for garnish
In your soup pot, add the olive oil and saute the onions well, almost to browning, then the garlic and ginger for a few more minutes.
Add the tomatoes, spices, beans and the coconut milk and simmer for at least a half hour, stirring occasionally to stop sticking.
Cook the rice like this:
When you are all set, use a potato masher to thicken the beans to a porridge like consistency.
Garnish with cilantro, add a dollop of sour cream/yogurt mixture, and a sprinkle of cayenne.
Serve with the rice on the side.
3/14/2018 04:40:57 pm
Our fav dish so far. Just the best damn flavor. Didn't find the Garma Madras but substituted Sun Brand Madras and McCormick Hot Madras curry in equal parts. Substituted Trader Joe's Basmati Melody Rice with Beef broth. Yeah baby! We are going to make this again...
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great stove top vegetarian meals for two hungry people. And no advertising!
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean and Pasta Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Festivus Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
23) Summer Corn Salad w/Lime/Yogurt Dressing
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow with Apples
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) White Beans, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
(42) Kale, Potato and Bean Soup with Kalamata Topping
(44) Black Bean Burger with Baked Potato Wedges
(45) Lemony Red Lentil Soup
(46) Cacio e Pepe
(47) Yo Po Mian
(48) Cabbage Frittata
(49) Mushroom Congee
(50) Pasta and Chickpea Stew
(51) Black Bean Burrito
(52) Poached Egg on Farro
(53) Yellow Split Pea Soup
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Tokyo Butter Rice
Indian Cucumber Raita
Mortar and Pestle Pesto
Ice Cream Cookie