A good winter soup. The Kalamata olives make it formidable.
One can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
One 14oz. can diced tomatoes. I like "Fire Roasted"
One pound potatoes, bite size pieces. I like Russet for this, but almost any will do.
4 or more oz. chopped Kale. Use as much as you like
One half cup chopped Kalamata olives (I love these, good for most recipes, and a bargain)
One onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, ground pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Saute the onion and garlic, add three cups water, the tomatoes, potatoes, half of the beans, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook 25 minutes.
Use a potato masher or stick blender to thicken the soup to a consistency you like.
Add the Kale and the rest of the beans, and cook on low another ten minutes.
Serve with a topping of the Kalamata olives, and grated Parmesan to taste.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Festivus Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow with Apples
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
(42) Kale, Potato and Bean Soup with Kalamata Topping
(43) Brown Rice Congee
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Indian Cucumber Raita
Mortar and Pestle Pesto