Try it. A real surprise combination of pasta and potatoes. This Southwest breakfast favorite is an excellent casual dinner. (Just substitute a glass of red wine for the cup of coffee).
One pound Russet potatoes, cut into 3/4 " chunks
One cup dry small pasta
One large red onion, chopped
One medium green bell pepper, chopped
One medium red bell pepper, chopped
One Jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine
One and one half teaspoons salt, one teaspoon fresh black pepper
Four Tablespoons olive oil
Cilantro or parsley to garnish
This is very much a no panic meal. You can take your time, It just needs to be heated right before the poached eggs go on.
Saute/cook the onion, peppers, jalapeno, salt and pepper in the olive oil until the onion is transparent, about five to ten minutes. Cover, turn off the heat.
Simmer the potatoes in a small covered pot about 35 minutes in two cups of water. You want them soft enough to mash, but don't mash them.
Cook the pasta. Coordinate the pasta and potato cooking time so you can just dump them both in a colander in the sink, drain them for a second, and add them to the onion mixture.
Poke, push and prod the mixture until the potatoes lose a little of themselves to the other ingredients.
When you are ready to go, get the eggs poaching and reheat and remix the potato/pepper/pasta.
Divide into two bowls, slide the eggs on, and sprinkle on a little cayenne and black pepper.
Garnish with cilantro or parsley.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Sugar Snap Peas
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Ditalini Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Mortar and Pestle Pesto