Once you learn how to cook the eggs, this is a fine meal, and you will feel virtuous.
Most of a bunch of scallions, enough to make one cup
One cup of uncooked white rice
4 Tablespoons olive or peanut oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Get the rice going first. In small pot add 2 cups of water to one cup of rice and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to barely simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for at least ten minutes. Don't peek at the rice, the steam is important.
Cut the scallions into thin slices for the white parts, and into half inch long slices for the dark green parts. Set aside.
Beat the eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a large saute pan or wok heat three tablespoons oil until very hot but not smoking. Pour the eggs into the pan. As they puff around the edges, tilt the pan towards you and push the eggs back with a spatula. Continue pushing and tilting until the eggs are just done, the slide them onto a dish and set aside. This method, from Irene Kuo, adds a nice texture to the cooked eggs.
When you are ready, add a tablespoon of oil to the pan, turn heat to medium high, add the scallions, stir a few times, then add the cooked rice. Use your spatula to break the rice up, add the eggs, poke and prod until everything is heated and mixed.
Serve with soy sauce if you like. Kikkoman is very good.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Sugar Snap Peas
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Ditalini Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Mortar and Pestle Pesto