Spanish Brown lentils are available in some specialty stores, but you don't need them for this recipe. They just sound tastier. Use any color lentil but red, which get mushy. This is the only simple lentil salad recipe that I actually want to eat, not just take to the pot luck fund raiser. (Updated 6/4/20)
One cup of brown or green lentils (You can buy Spanish Pardina brown lentils direct from the farm, Look up Palouse Brand)
2 1/2 cups water
Half a small red onion chopped
One small red bell pepper chopped
One cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, de-seeded with a spoon, the halves cut into 1/2"strips, then chopped 1/4" long.
2 cups parsley leaves.
Feta cheese for garnish
Romaine lettuce or other green as bed for serving optional
Cook the lentils in the 2 1/2 cups water or stock with 1/2 teaspoon salt for 30-35 minutes, then put in a colander, rinse with cold water and let sit until you are ready.
Make the dressing: Combine 5 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, one clove of garlic finely minced or put through a press, 1 full teaspoon Dijon mustard, and a little more than a 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and sugar, and whisk to combine.
When you are all set, combine the lentils, the vegetables and the dressing, serve and garnish with some feta cheese.
A bed of greens for serving is a nice addition, Romaine, Iceberg, or baby spinach.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Sugar Snap Peas
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Mortar and Pestle Pesto