A messy delight. If you've never tried Banh Mi, you are in for a treat. This is an easy version made with eggs or hummus. Make sure you have a really fresh bread. (Updated July 2019)
1 sourdough baguette, cut in half, and slit sideways to open like a book. Pull some of the bread out to make room for the ingredients. (Update: We have had better luck recently with a loaf shape sourdough. Cut it in half lengthwise, slit the halves, open like a book, and pull out most of the dough.)
4 eggs or plain hummus about 6 oz.
2 medium jalapeno peppers, de-seeded and cut into matchstick strips
1/2 large cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, de-seeded, and cut into @ half inch strips
1 cup or more cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, grated into a small bowl, and mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons cider vinegar. (If you get rabid about Banh Mi, you can make the slaw with half carrot and half Daikon radish)
Hellman's real mayonnaise
Sriracha hot sauce
Start by making the carrot mixture. Stir well, cover with with a dish, and marinate for at least 15 minutes while you make the sandwiches. Stir a few times while you are underway.
If using eggs, crack the eggs into a bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and fresh pepper and beat lightly
Get the peppers, cucumber and cilantro ready, Relax, maybe have a drink.
When you are ready to go, prepare the bread, and put a good schmear of mayo and a line of hot sauce on one or both sides.
Drain the liquid from the carrot mixture.
If using eggs, cook the eggs lightly scrambled. When the eggs are done, ladle the eggs into the bottom half of each sandwich.
If using hummus, spread on bottom halves of sandwiches.
Add the jalapeno, cucumber, the marinated carrots and cilantro.
Close the sandwich, and cut each sandwich in half.
1/14/2018 10:38:25 am
Agree that is east to make and delicious!
7/31/2019 10:45:55 am
Love a good Bahn Mi recipe, and this one is going to my saved recipe folder! I'm vegan, so I opted out for the egg. It is very nice to know that I have a new dish that is fully plant-based meal. It was getting very hard to find a new recipe that is nutritious and fun to make. Most of the time, my plates were monotone with not a lot of color. I’m so glad this recipe looks so good.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great stove top vegetarian meals for two hungry people. And no advertising!
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean and Pasta Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Festivus Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
23) Summer Corn Salad w/Lime/Yogurt Dressing
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow with Apples
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) White Beans, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
(42) Kale, Potato and Bean Soup with Kalamata Topping
(44) Black Bean Burger with Baked Potato Wedges
(45) Lemony Red Lentil Soup
(46) Cacio e Pepe
(47) Yo Po Mian
(48) Cabbage Frittata
(49) Mushroom Congee
(50) Pasta and Chickpea Stew
(51) Black Bean Burrito
(52) Poached Egg on Farro
(53) Yellow Split Pea Soup
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Tokyo Butter Rice
Indian Cucumber Raita
Mortar and Pestle Pesto
Ice Cream Cookie