Wonderful dinner, and easy to make. Just get the different elements ready, and then go at it.
Rice: One cup of rice (Jasmine is good), two cups water and half teaspoon salt. Cook like this:
A large fresh cabbage, about 1/ 1/2 lbs. ( Quarter the cabbage, cut out the core, remove tough outer leaves, and cut the cabbage into 3/4" slices/pieces.) Separate the pieces with your fingers, and set aside in a colander.
3 tablespoons olive oil or peanut oil
Sauce: Mix these dry ingredients in a cup: 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, and two teaspoons corn starch. Then add 2 tablespoons soy sauce ( Kikkoman is good), One tablespoon cider vinegar, and one tablespoon dry sherry or white wine and mix well. Set aside.
1 package of firm tofu, cut into cubes by holding the tofu on edge, slicing it three times, lay the block flat, slice again lengthwise, turn the block and slice crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces.
1 small bunch of scallions, (white bulbs discarded) cut into 1/2 inch pieces, and set aside.
1 clove garlic, minced.
3 quarter sized pieces of ginger, chopped fine.
3 tablespoons olive oil or peanut oil
Sauce: Mix in a cup 4 tablespoons mushroom flavored soy sauce (If using "dark" soy, use 2 tablespoons), 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/3 cup water. Set aside. (For more mushroom flavor, add 3 or 4 chopped dried mushrooms and 1/4 cup water to the sauce. Recommended.)
Thickening sauce: Mix in a cup 2 teaspoons corn starch, 2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Set aside.
Put a bowl in the oven on "Keep Warm".
Put the cut up cabbage in a colander, ready to be rinsed.
Directions for the rice:
Cook the rice, let it sit until you are ready.
Directions for the Tofu:
Get things going by sauteing the garlic and ginger in 3 tablespoons olive oil, Carefully add the mushroom soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil, add the tofu, then cook on low, covered for 5 minutes. Then thicken the sauce by slowly adding the cornstarch mixture while stirring the tofu. Add the scallions, mix once then transfer to the warm bowl in the oven
Directions for the Cabbage:
Wipe the pan, add 3 tablespoons oil, heat until hot, then quickly rinse the cabbage, shake off excess water, and carefully add to pan. Cook until the cabbage is hot and starting to shrink down. Give the sauce mixture a stir, then slowly add it to cabbage while stirring. When the mixture thickens, you are done.
Put the rice, cabbage and tofu into your serving bowl, sprinkle with a little cayenne, and thank Irene Kuo for the recipe.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great vegetarian meals for two hungry people. Every one a winner.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) Black Olive, Pasta and White Bean Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Sugar Snap Peas
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Summer Salad
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow
(26) Mushroom and Scallion Lo Mein
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) Cannellini, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Ditalini Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Mortar and Pestle Pesto