From James Beard to Craig Claiborne to here. No offense, but you have not lived until this bread comes out of the oven and settles down next to your Black Bean soup. A little under ten minutes of actual work to go from plain flour to greatness. Try it with Cuban Black Bean Soup. Heaven.
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons packaged dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 to 4 cups all purpose flour (buy a small 2 pound bag)
Use hot tap water to warm a mixing bowl ( I use a 9" Pyrex) for a few minutes.
When you are ready to start, turn the oven on "Keep Warm" and set the timer for 10 minutes.
Put one cup warm water in the warmed mixing bowl, add the sugar and salt, stir, add the yeast, stir,
then start adding flour straight from the bag, mixing with a wooden spoon.
Add flour and stir until the dough starts to form a ball and pulls away from the bowl. Use your floured hands to pull the dough off the spoon and start forming the dough into a ball, adding more flour as you need it.
Add a layer of flour to your cutting board/countertop, drop the ball of flour on it and start to push and pull the dough until you have a kind springy ball about the size of a small grapefruit. You will be adding sprinklings of flour while you knead.
Leave the ball of flour on the counter while you clean the bowl. Dry the bowl out, put a little olive oil in the bowl, spread it around with your fingers, put the dough in the bowl and turn it to coat with the olive oil.
Put a damp towel over the bowl.
The oven timer should go off about now. The oven needs to be warm , but not hot. You need a warm place (optimum temp is 80 to 85 degrees) to let the yeast work. Open the oven the whole way to let the hottest air out, put the bowl in the oven, shut the door, and wait one hour.
OK. When you open the oven an hour later, the dough should have about doubled in size. If so, dump it onto your floured surface, mold it a little, cut it in two, and shape the dough into round loaves or longish rolls, like French bread.
Put them on a parchment lined or cornmeal dusted baking sheet, and let them rise for five minutes. Then slash the tops crosswise two or three times, and using a brush or paper towel, gently coat the tops with water.
Slip the baking pan into the cold oven, turn to 400 degrees, and wait 40 to 45 minute until the bread is crusty and brown. Take it out and serve it as soon as you can handle the loaves, only a few minutes.
If ever butter was put to better use, I'd like to know.
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great stove top vegetarian meals for two hungry people. And no advertising!
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean and Pasta Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Festivus Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
23) Summer Corn Salad w/Lime/Yogurt Dressing
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow with Apples
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) White Beans, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
(42) Kale, Potato and Bean Soup with Kalamata Topping
(44) Black Bean Burger with Baked Potato Wedges
(45) Lemony Red Lentil Soup
(46) Cacio e Pepe
(47) Yo Po Mian
(48) Cabbage Frittata
(49) Mushroom Congee
(50) Pasta and Chickpea Stew
(51) Black Bean Taco
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Tokyo Butter Rice
Indian Cucumber Raita
Mortar and Pestle Pesto