Cabbage and fresh corn are the stars of this zany meal. It is a blast to make too. Requires mastery of the "Flip and Slide" to prevent visits to the E.R. It is worth the trouble. A new favorite.
3/4 pound cabbage cut like coleslaw
2 pieces of fresh corn with kernels sliced off
One small onion, chopped
5 eggs beaten lightly. (Find fresh eggs if you can. Older eggs can be watery.)
One and one half teaspoon salt
Plenty of fresh black pepper
Cheddar cheese, 4 oz. or more, and pickled hot cherry or jalapeno peppers to taste. We use 1/4 cup Pastene Hot Cherry Peppers.
Mix the cabbage, corn, onion, eggs, salt and pepper thoroughly in a large bowl. Mix until everything is coated with the eggs.
Heat a 10" cast iron skillet or large pan over medium low heat until heated through.
Add some oil and swirl to coat the bottom and sides, add the cabbage mixture and spread evenly.
Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes (until you can free the frittata from the sides and bottom).
Put a plate or pan cover over the frittata, and using both hands flip the frittata over onto the plate, then slide it back into the pan. You can leave the heat on while you quickly add as much cheddar and hot peppers as you like. Put the top back on, and cook 2 minutes more. Done.
Use the edge of your spatula to cut the frittata into four triangles, and serve hot.
Watch this video to see the inspiration for this recipe, and the flipping method. It is from a Philipino recipe site.
Watch this video to see us making it. Good "flip and slide".
Tom David Recipe Blog: Great stovetop vegetarian meals for two.
(1) Pasta, Garlic, Olive Oil and Eggs
(2) White Bean, Pasta and Kalamata Olive Salad
(3) Beans with Pasta and Cherry Tomato
(4) One Pan Pasta with Poached Egg
(5) Rigatoni with Tomato and Arugula
(6) Cold Arugula, Basil, Tomato with Hot Pasta
(7) Greek Salad with Pasta and Spinach
(8) Rice with Eggs and Scallions
(9) Curried Yellow Split Pea, Potato and Coconut Soup
(10) Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Dal
(11) Cuban Black Bean Soup
(12) Lentil and Rice Soup
(13) Potato, Pasta and Peppers
(14) Simple White Bean and Pasta Soup
(15) Tofu, Cabbage and Rice
(16) Red Lentil Soup with Chipotle Peppers
(17) Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
(18) One Pot Pasta Alfredo
(19) Costa Rican Beans and Rice
(20) Indian Spiced Red Bean"Masala" and Rice
(21) Festivus Red and Black Bean Tortilla Bowl
(22) Pasta, Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
(23) Corn, Bean and Pasta Salad w/ Lime Dressing
(24) Angel Hair Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
(25) Seib Chalow with Apples
(27) Chinese Tomatoes and Eggs
(28) Cold Asian Pasta Salad
(29) Baby Red Potatoes and Chickpeas
(30) Baby Spinach and Chickpeas on Garlic Toast
(31) Pad Thom
(32) Spicy Potato and Corn Soup
(33) Two Cheese and Lemon Pasta
(34) Kale, Cannellini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(35) Noodles in Hot and Sour Mushroom Broth
(36) White Beans, Pasta and Parsley with Lemon
(37) Marinated Tomato, Bean and Pasta Salad
(38) Spanish Brown Lentil Salad
(39) Cabbage, Pasta and Red Bean Salad
(40) Corn, Bean and Rice Salad
(41) Bean and Lentil Chili
(42) Kale, Potato and Bean Soup with Kalamata Topping
(44) Black Bean Burger with Baked Potato Wedges
(45) Lemony Red Lentil Soup
(46) Cacio e Pepe
(47) Yo Po Mian
(48) Cabbage Frittata
Carrot, Cheese, and Pickle Sandwich
Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich
Tokyo Butter Rice
Indian Cucumber Raita
Mortar and Pestle Pesto